Monday, July 13, 2015

ABOUT | Closing Chapters

"Did you hear the news?" she asked.
"Good news or bad news?" I asked wearily.
"Micky..."

I knew what was coming. My eyes swelled with tears.

"When?"
"Two or three months ago."

How could two or three months go by without me receiving the news of his passing? So many thoughts flooded in my head and I couldn't handle it. It was a truly solemn moment that will pain me every time I think back to it. I know that death is inevitable, but I always assumed I would have more time with him. He was always just a phone call, text, or postcard away! And silly me, I assumed that we would always be able to pick up where we left off.

When I moved to Poland, I stopped contact with a lot of people. Sometimes, that's what distance does. But I never forget about the special guests who come into my life, even if for just a short time. Micky was a special man. And he always made me feel like I was a special girl. Although it had been months since we spoke, I could still hear his voice and see his facial expressions so clearly. It's hard to forget someone like him. He believed I had all the potential in the world. He encouraged me. He gave me advice. He taught me that life is always worth living. And I feel honored to have known such a cool, genuine, one of a kind man.

Micky, if you could read this right now, rest assured that I will make it to Cafe Riazor, have the almejas, some tequila, and reminisce of the GREAT and hilarious times we had there. It is currently putting a smile on my face as I write. I can tell people about the cool Bronx kid who ended up in the hearts of many. Micky, I cannot thank you enough for inviting me into your world and allowing me to know you.

In these past weeks, life has changed in ways that I didn't expect. Aside from the news of my friend's passing, I also made the decision to stay in New York. When you see how life can change in an instant, you're encouraged even more to follow the path that you want to follow. I am so grateful to have experienced the culture of Poland. It would not have been something I would do on my own. Therefore, the experience was worth it.

It's not always easy. It's not always hard. But it always has to happen.

Closing chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment